Welcome To National Research Institute of Basic Ayurvedic
National Research Institute of Basic Ayurvedic Sciences, Pune formerly known as Jawaharlal Nehru Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants Garden and Herbarium is a leading research centre of the Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha, an autonomous organization under the Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India. It was established in May, 1961 by the Indian Government as per the recommendations of the Central Council of Ayurvedic medicine with a view to carry out survey, collections and cultivation of medicinal plants. During the first two decades, after its establishment the activities of the centre were limited chiefly to the development and maintenance of the demonstrative garden and to certain extent experimental cultivation of medicinal plants. In order to accelerate the research activities, the Council merged the Pharmacgnosy Research Unit functioning at Indian Drug Research Association, Pune with Jawaharlal Nehru Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants Garden and Herbarium in 1980 and established a Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory in 1990. Recently, Institute developed a molecular biology lab focused to work on the fundamental research on the principles of Ayurveda. One quality control lab and mini pharmacy for drug standardization are under construction. Furthermore, the centre maintains a small library, a herbarium and a reference museum of medicinal plants particularly of Ayurvedic importance.
1. To conserve rare , endangered and vulnerable medicinal plants.
2. To conserve medicinal taxa through in-vitro tissue culture techniques.
3. Literary research: Compilation and publication of the book "Database on Medicinal Plants used in Ayurveda".
4. To co relate the psychosometic constitution (prakriti) of individuals with proteome.
5. To standardize pharmacognostic profiles of important medicinal plants.
1. Demonstration of medicinal plant garden to the researcher, students and other visitors.
2. Authetification of Medicinal Plants.
3. Pharmacognosy of medicinal plants.
4. Sale of seedlings of Medicinal plants.
5. Training on Plant Tissue Culture Techniques.